Getting your car towed doesn’t always mean that you violated some rules or you parked in the wrong place; it might be that your car has broken down, and you can no longer start it and you need a mechanic to fix it. The professionals have guidelines, and of course they know how to tow properly, as it is what either you, or your insurance company is paying for -someone to take care of your car properly. Things happen. What will you do when you run out of petrol (gas), and you’re stranded? You don’t want to leave your car, so you call a friend to help you tow your car. This doesn’t happen all the time, but we always need to be prepared and know a few things ourselves. How do you do it? How do you tow your car properly? You can’t just tie a rope to it and be on your way. There are proper ways to do this, and you may find some helpful tips below.
1. First you need a proper rope, so use a towrope
The towrope won’t be expensive. You can purchase it from the car parts section of a store or a gas station. It’s better to be safe and always have a towrope on hand.
2. Always remember to make a sign
On a piece of paper, write, “ON TOW” or “BEING TOWED” in big capital letters and then post it in the back window in your car. This lets traffic following your car know what’s going on, otherwise, they’d wonder why your car is going so slow.
3. When being towed, you have to turn on the ignition, so the steering lock is released and the direction indicators and the brake lights will work.
4. Make sure that you attach the tow rope on the towing eyes.
Do not hook it to any other part of your car, as it can damage your car or even pull off parts of your car.
5. Before the other car drives along with your car attached, make sure the handbrake has been released and you’ve put your transmission in neutral.
6. Make sure that you both know agree on the route you’ll take to get where you’re going, before you leave. You don’t want to cause any traffic, or other problems on the road.
7. You have to continually check to ensure the towrope is taut.
8. On some car models, pedal pressure will be required, especially with power steering.
9. Do not drive fast
Drive at a moderate speed when towing a car, and make sure you allow time and space when slowing down, especially at intersections (this is for the driver of the car doing the towing).
10. Do not tow the car backward!.
COPYRIGHT of each phots are AFP, EFE, Reuters, AP, This blog I used to intent help people does not make any business with it.